Skip to main content

It Has Been Too Long/ I finally Did The Dyeing Thing

Happy September folks, I think that I ambitiously started this blog here and as most ambitious practices that one would want to turn into habit, after a few (in this case just two) posts it got swept up in the ever busy waves of life and retreated into the back round. That being said I have thought about it from time to time and frequently resolved myself to coming back and revisiting it. As a procrastinator of course that kept getting pushed back and pushed back. So now here I am over a year after the beginning trying to start again.

Friday the weather finally calmed down and gave us temperatures cool enough for me to finally get around to overdyeing the yarn I have for my Rhinebeck sweater. I am planning on knitting the Carbeth Cardigan By: Kate Davies Designs. I was gifted some beautiful Owl Buttons from a Ravelry friend that I will be using. The yarn is Willabaa it is Australian Merino Wool. it is an 8ply, DK weight, it was gifted to me by yet another crafting friend who I know through the knitting group I used to attend in Carroll Gardens a few years ago. The yarn was originally a beautiful pale seafoam green which while complimenting the color of the buttons as it was. It just was not speaking to me as a good sweater color. I really wanted a nice neutral colored sweater to wear this fall so I decided that I would finally make this my dyeing experiment. Dyeing is something I have wanted to try and do for a very long time, being the person that has crazy dreams of starting my own little dye business like so many other people have done. (who am I kidding, I am a linecook in NYC I have no time or space to do anything that crazy, maybe in a different life) I picked up a big enamel pot and a respirator mask from my local hardware store. Then I picked up a few more things (gloves, cheap wooden spoons, tongs, and some large aluminum roasting pans) from the dollar store in Windsor Terrace. Ordered some acid dyes from Dharma Trading and waited for the day the heatwave would break and I could finally Dye the yarn. (I originally had done a very small test batch with little miniskeins I wound off  one of the big skeins so I could decide the actual color.)

I had a lot of fun with it but it is definitely not a lot of fun to do in my little tiny apartment kitchen where I am scared of getting extra dye and water everywhere on surfaces that I also use to prepare food so while it is a nice every once in a while project I can't see myself doing it as frequently as I once had dreamed of doing.

Of course the yarn is still hanging up in the shower because two days later and it is still damp.


 Process pictures 


 Hanging to dry


Owl Buttons! 


I will bring this to a close and hope to be back soon. There is so much I would like to share here, many projects to talk about. I will leave you with a picture from Wash who is living the good life of a cat. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Things First

I finally sit down to write this first post, as the late afternoon sunlight streams in through my living room window and I am listening to the noises of Coney Island Avenue filter in through the partially open window. Hoban Washburn (known as Wash) the cat is sitting under one of the folding chairs sniffing things on the floor.  I am Korrina, I live in Ditmas park Brooklyn with my boyfriend Brian and our cat Wash. I am a line cook and work in Manhattan. Brian is also a cook/chef and currently works in Manhattan as well. Wash is a ginger tabby cat with white mittens, boots, tuxedo and tummy, we adopted him from the ASPCA in January and he is about a year old. I myself am 23 and making is very dear to me. I am a knitter and have been knitting since I was eight years old. I also crochet, spin, and sew to a certain extent.  I would like more time to explore the rest more. I have not had a sewing machine in forever and always find I have little patience when it comes to figuring out t

Japan Fes. Konamon Contest and Cat Introductions, Featuring The World Trade Center Oculus

I was up very early this morning getting ready to go out with Brian to Manhattan for the Japan fes. Konamon Contest, A contest focused on "flour" dishes; Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Dango, Yakisoba etc. We had some delicious and some not so delicious street food. We started at one end which was food vendors not participating in the contest. Yakitori, that was not the best, the Ika was not cooked well and the Pork Belly was just standard, nothing exciting.  From there we wandered into the Contest area, purchased our tickets which came with Calpico! (which Brian is enjoying below)   After getting tickets, we made our way through the contestants, there were nine participating vendors total and we bought five tickets and stopped at 4 places (I had to have dango twice)  Dango from "Odango" second time around, two sweet and one savory, made it as our number 2 winner. Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki from Kazu-Chan NYC, Super delicious and very good portion