Skip to main content

Japan Fes. Konamon Contest and Cat Introductions, Featuring The World Trade Center Oculus

I was up very early this morning getting ready to go out with Brian to Manhattan for the Japan fes. Konamon Contest, A contest focused on "flour" dishes; Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Dango, Yakisoba etc.

We had some delicious and some not so delicious street food. We started at one end which was food vendors not participating in the contest.


Yakitori, that was not the best, the Ika was not cooked well and the Pork Belly was just standard, nothing exciting. 

From there we wandered into the Contest area, purchased our tickets which came with Calpico! (which Brian is enjoying below) 
 After getting tickets, we made our way through the contestants, there were nine participating vendors total and we bought five tickets and stopped at 4 places (I had to have dango twice) 
Dango from "Odango" second time around, two sweet and one savory, made it as our number 2 winner.

Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki from Kazu-Chan NYC, Super delicious and very good portion size. This made it as the number three winner for us. 

Moffle Bar did not rank (so  I guess it would have been number 4) basically a cross between Mochi and a Waffle topped with different sweet things, a little on the sweet side for both of us. 


The Number one spot went to Karls Balls Takoyaki, Which meant that they were the favorite thing we ate, Karl also had my favorite booth there, with funny sayings and what not one sight was "from osaka to your blocka" he and his team were also wearing t-shirts from Kewpie mayo that I was extremely jealous of. 



 Takoyaki Action shots. All in all Karl was just a cool guy, very humble, very friendly just doing what he enjoys doing and flipping Takoyaki, I am hoping that he wins the contest because I really enjoyed eating his food. 



 After Japan Fes. We walked down to JB Prince to pick up some things for Brian's Tasting at the Eataly downtown on Monday, from there we caught the R train down to Cortlandt street so that we could go scope out the Eataly and make sure they had things that Brian may need. We ended up walking through the oculus at the World Trade Center which I have never been in. (this New Yorker tends to try and avoid that area it just makes me uncomfortable still, over 15 years after 9/11) But I do have to say there is some pretty cool stuff in that part of town. though   I really have no reason to go into the oculus except for that it looks pretty, considering it is all super expensive designer shops that I could never afford to shop at. But I did enjoy the photo opportunity and looking like a damn tourist. 

Finally on the subway home I got to pull out my knitting for a little bit. I got one pattern repeat done on my "papermoon socks" its a knitty pattern  I think from 2012, really nice simple cable pattern. I am knitting it with Mollygirl Diva yarn in a colorway that  I can not remember the name of. I got it at the mollygirl trunkshow/halloween gathering at Woolyn last year, It was part of a mystery grab bag that I split with two other knitters. This is the second sock I am almost there I think I need another 4 pattern repeats and then  I get to do the cuff and bind off. (I started these in march I think) 


After stopping at the Flatbush Food Coop for cheese, and salumi for the Cat introductions I got some nice craft beer from Cortelyou craft beer (another post perhaps this one is really dragging) and then we headed home and my parents and little sister came over with their cats (my childhood cats) 
We are introducing them to wash as my little sister and parents are possibly going to Cali this summer for a dance intensive for little sister and we can't really have them stay at my moms if they do an apartment swap as they are fairly old now. 
Was was not too thrilled with the development. 

Madeline made herself right at home

this is the farthest Hermione ventured out from behind the couch the entire time they were over. 
All in all I don't think it went as badly as  I thought it would. There was of course hissing but no physical fighting, other than Wash and Madeline swinging at each other once, and even then it was Madeline that started it and wash really wanted nothing to do with the matter. 
We will see what happens. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Things First

I finally sit down to write this first post, as the late afternoon sunlight streams in through my living room window and I am listening to the noises of Coney Island Avenue filter in through the partially open window. Hoban Washburn (known as Wash) the cat is sitting under one of the folding chairs sniffing things on the floor.  I am Korrina, I live in Ditmas park Brooklyn with my boyfriend Brian and our cat Wash. I am a line cook and work in Manhattan. Brian is also a cook/chef and currently works in Manhattan as well. Wash is a ginger tabby cat with white mittens, boots, tuxedo and tummy, we adopted him from the ASPCA in January and he is about a year old. I myself am 23 and making is very dear to me. I am a knitter and have been knitting since I was eight years old. I also crochet, spin, and sew to a certain extent.  I would like more time to explore the rest more. I have not had a sewing machine in forever and always find I have little patience when it comes to figuring out t

It Has Been Too Long/ I finally Did The Dyeing Thing

Happy September folks, I think that I ambitiously started this blog here and as most ambitious practices that one would want to turn into habit, after a few (in this case just two) posts it got swept up in the ever busy waves of life and retreated into the back round. That being said I have thought about it from time to time and frequently resolved myself to coming back and revisiting it. As a procrastinator of course that kept getting pushed back and pushed back. So now here I am over a year after the beginning trying to start again. Friday the weather finally calmed down and gave us temperatures cool enough for me to finally get around to overdyeing the yarn I have for my Rhinebeck sweater. I am planning on knitting the  Carbeth Cardigan By: Kate Davies Designs . I was gifted some beautiful Owl Buttons from a Ravelry friend that I will be using. The yarn is Willabaa it is Australian Merino Wool. it is an 8ply, DK weight, it was gifted to me by yet another crafting friend who I know